Flood Tech | Flooded Basement & Condo | Emergency Water Damage Services

How to Remove Mould and Clean It Safely

What is Mould and Why it's Dangerous to your safety

In order to successfully understand how to remove mould, we must first understand what it is and why it is deemed so dangerous to your safety. Mold is a type of fungus that easily grows on moist surfaces in damp and humid regions. Mould infestation is a very common result of water damage. Most common places of mould infestation include flooded basements, wet carpets, attics and walls. Mould creates a potential threat to human health as well as buildings. Mould damages surface materials and creates a pungent odour. Some of the most common types of mould include:

How to Remove Mold - Under a Microscope Closeup Look

Acremonium

Toxigenic Mould that starts out small and moist and turns into a fine powdery substance over time. Commonly found in Humidifiers, drains, window sealants, and cooling coils

Alternaria

Most common of them all, it’s velvet textured and grows wherever you find excessive dampness

Aspergillus

This one has over 185 different species and is an allergenic mold which can quickly become more toxic. Asthma attacks, lung infection and respiratory inflammation are the top symptoms

Aureobasidium

Found typically growing behind surfaces such as wallpaper or painted wooden surfaces. Health risks include eye, nail, and skin infections. As it easily causes skin rashes, it should not be handled directly without protective equipment

Chaetomium

The most typical one found in water damaged homes. It develops a cotton-like texture and changes colors over time. Easily remedied through removal of moisture as it heavily relies on it for its survival

Cladosporium

Can grow in both cold and warm environments, it is most typically found in upholstery and other fabrics. It causes allergic reactions in the nose, throat, eyes, and skin. Rash and lesions can occur through direct contact and must be strongly avoided

Fusarium

Resilient to cold temperatures, it has allergic and toxigenic properties and most commonly occurs in homes that are suffering from water damage. Exposure can cause severe allergic reactions including runny nose, sore throat, sneezing, itchy eyes, and rashes. It spreads quickly and needs to be remedied promptly

Mucor

Grows in thicker patches and is highly allergic. Found in HVAC systems, air ducts, air conditioners, and any other forms of air circulating systems. Can cause infections which can lead to difficulty breathing and flu-like symptoms. Due to the severity of the reactions, it is critical to remedy immediately

Penicillin

Found mostly in water damaged buildings, it has a blue or green color and has a soft velvet texture. Despite its use for medical purposes, it is still dangerous and can cause health complications if left untreated

Stachybotrys

Nicknamed “the black mould” it is highly toxic and has allergic reactions. Grows in high humidity, it has been linked to neurological problems in children and causes pulmonary bleeding in babies. Due to its toxic nature in children, if found and you have a small child in the house, remove the child IMMEDIATELY and call professional emergency services. It infects quickly and can be lethal in some cases

Trichoderma

White in color with some green sporadic patching, it multiplies and grows in mostly wet surfaces or extremely moist areas. While most are non-pathogenic, there have been cases of pulmonary and hepatic infections caused directly by Trichoderma. Should only be handled with professional equipment and protective gear. If left unattended, it can ultimately destroy the structure of the building materials

Ulocladium

Black in color and grows in severe wet areas and in water. Found typically in bathrooms, basements, kitchens, around windows, and any areas that are prone to prolonged levels of high condensation. It has been documented to cause some severe health issues and infections. Asthmatic symptoms are generally telltale signs of excessive Ulocladium buildup

How to Remove Mold - Understanding the causes of mold growth

The optimal temperature for mould growth is between 77° F - 86° F. Mold growth occurs very fast because mould thrives on organic substances which are available in abundance. Mould spores are microscopic and are easily dispersed by wind and water. The most important thing which helps in mould growth is moisture. So, if buildings have water damage or leakage of any kind it takes only 24-48 hours for mould to grow.

spot and learn how to remove mold from your walls

How to tackle and remove mold growth

In order to understand how to remove mould, you must also understand how to control it from forming initially. Mould growth, if not controlled initially, can damage the property to a great extent. Some techniques to prevent mould growth are:

Homemade remedies like borax, vinegar, bleach are not very effective against mould growth. In case of a mould infestation in buildings, it is always advisable to seek help from professional mould removal services.

Mould infestation is a common problem in most households. If you are concerned about mould, there are many remediation services offered to help you understand how to remove mould properly offered by licensed companies. Remember to hire a trusted mould remediation specialist. The staff at Flood Tech are all specially trained mould remediation specialists and are always available for a free consultation and assessment.

Let's Talk

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *