Hiring a water damage restoration company steps
Step 1: Ask friends and family for recommendations. Do a local google search and search for good reviews.
Step 2: Before booking, make sure to note the following information stated below. The list contains the most likely questions the water damage restoration company will ask you to help better prepare them for the Flooded Basement Emergency.
- Provide your Google map address link to the company for fast & accurate emergency response.
- Take pictures and videos with your mobile phone & have them ready to share.
- Identify the water seepage source if safe to do so.
- Note down the flood depth.
- Identify the water category or class type. For example, is it Clean water or sewage?
- Is there an unaffected power outlet source available?
- Make a note of the square footage of the affected areas.
- Is there a drain? If so, is it clogged or unclogged?
- Is the basement finished or unfinished?
- Are there heavily affected items to move?
- If you are a representative or tenant, have the property owner’s contact info on hand.
Step 3: Ensure the flood company you hire meets the following requirements.
- 1 hour response time.
- Contractor damage liability insurance.
- Certifications and licences.
- Customer references.
- ‘Never pay upfront cash deposits without a formal contract.
- Step-by-step detailed quote and timeline.
- Can guide you through the insurance claim process.
- Insurance claim deductible “program.”
Filing an insurance claim steps
- Have your insurance policy number on hand.
- Understand your policy and declarations.
- Confirm all policy information is up to date.
- Hire a reputable water damage restoration company to help prepare your claim documentation.
- Log, photograph and keep an inventory of damaged items
- Get an anticipated time frame
- Schedule and prepare for your adjuster’s visit.
- Learn how your flood insurance claims process can be wrongfully denied.
Is a flooded basement dangerous?
Before entering a flooded basement, ensure it’s safe to do so before carelessly stepping into hazards and injuring yourself. Depending on the flood severity, it’s highly advisable not to risk entering to clean up the wet basement area until it’s mitigated and assessed by a water damage restoration expert and cleared safe to do so.
Tools & supplies needed for flooded basement cleanup
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) & first aid kits
- Disinfectant & Cleaning products
- Flathead Shovel
- Portable Sump Pump
- Wet/Dry Vacuum
- Mop & water squeegee
- Industrial fans/blower
- Pencil/Chalk & utility knife
- Heavy grade garbage bags.